Wednesday 6 August 2014

York - the shopping edition

Confessions of a Shopaholic


If you thought London was the place I traveled to most, think again. If the statistics (i.e. train ticket purchases) are true, then York is in fact number 1 on my list. Be it for a day out with friends or alone, York has a wealth of attractions and surprises that are tempting even to the pickiest of all tourists. And as for me, I just can’t get enough of it. Its sights, sounds and scents will never get old.

Simply put – I formed a bond with York since the first day I set foot in this magnificent town only one year ago.

Normally I’d give out tips on what to best see. But I thought, just for a change (and to try something new), I’d dedicate this post to the shops of York that I adore. So here’s the outcome of my adventure today.

Number 1: Fat Rascal by Betty’s

Placing this as my number 1 buy is not even a question – it’s a must. Call me crazy, mad or even slightly insane if you want, but I promise that you’ll be swallowing each and every word back once you’ve had a bite of this tasty treat. Sweet and fruity, Fat Rascals are best served hot so that they’re crunchy on the outside but ever so moist and soft on the inside – incredibly mouthwatering.

Made me even happier that I got the last one in stock!

Number 2: Handmade cupcake bath bombs by The Yorkshire Soap Company

It’s impossible not to stare in awe of these delicate and scrumptious-looking handmade creations. Even the shop itself is charming with its girly pink prints, glistening chandeliers and the occasional staff member humming “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music whilst serving the humble customer. Undoubtedly elegant, The Yorkshire Soap Company presents a contemporary twist on bath time products by combining fresh scents and patisserie craftsmanship with a sprinkle of imagination.

Just remember: enjoy but don’t eat.

Number 3: Robin – the furniture bird

Other than being an extremely pretty place, York’s full of independent shops selling trinkets and treasures galore. It’s no wonder my wallet undergoes incredible weight loss every time I’m there. My favorite street to shop? Definitely Stonegate (aka. One of York’s oldest street!). I just love walking down the cobbled path, breathing in the atmosphere created by street entertainers whilst simultaneously admiring the colorful windows of shops before heading in.

So on this occasion, robin can home with me.

Number 4: Chocolate

If you’re a chocoholic (like moi), then you’re definitely in the right place. Local, national and international, whatever sort of cocoa related delight you’re looking for, York’s got it all (and an awesome museum to tell you all about its chocolate-making history!). Chocolate-coated coffee beans were calling me (or rather my stomach) today, so off to the shops I went – simple as that.

The next time you think Kit Kat and Chocolate Oranges, I expect you to think of York.

Number 5: (Poetry) books

I know what you’re thinking: Books, really? How’s this supposed to be a “spectacular” ending to another one of your oh-so-famous (lol) blog posts? My response: I beg to differ. I think you have to be absolutely MAD if you don’t spend at least an hour relaxing among the greenery or in a cute cafĂ©, of which there are plenty, in York. For me, I like to spend this period away from the hustle bustle of the town center, to a less touristy area where I can step back from reality and have some quiet and peaceful alone time. With me I bring a chunky and hearty poetry book, full of adventure, mystery and surprises; the power of rhyme  is simply phenomenal.

And where exactly is this enchanting refugia I am speaking of?

“That’s one secret I’ll never tell”


x

No comments:

Post a Comment